As the coronavirus spreads, our stress and anxiety levels are also rising.
It is perfectly normal to feel anxious and stressed given the never-ending media coverage, uncertainty, and real-world impact of this global health crisis on our daily lives.
Indeed, listening to our anxiety is a good thing – it motivates us to take proper precautions. But if our anxiety about the coronavirus starts to feel out of control, there are steps we can take to reign it back in during these challenging times: ⠀
1. Instead of checking the news every few minutes, devote an ample window of time once or twice a day for learning about important updates. We don’t need to avoid information. Knowledge is power!⠀
2. Make extra time to practice meditation and self care. ⠀
3. Make sure to read news from reliable sources and news platforms. See our page on The Coronavirus for resources and information to help you during this time. ⠀
4. Focus on what we can control – for example, take precautions in public and follow recommended practices like washing hands and avoiding touching your face. ⠀
5. If you feel the spread of the coronavirus has exacerbated your anxiety and stress to an unmanageable level, reach out for professional help, including your healthcare providers and the national crisis text line.